Ph.D. Syracuse University, 1984
M.A. Louisiana State University, 1978
B.A. Louisiana State University, 1974
Dr. Colten is working on a range of topics including community resilience, adaptation to changing environments in coastal Louisiana, water and hazards in the American south.
- Craig E. Colten and Geoffrey Buckley, (co-eds.). Historical Geographies for the 21st Century, Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield, 2014.
- Craig E. Colten. Southern Waters: The Limits to Abundance. Baton Rouge: LSU Press, 2014.
- Craig E. Colten, “Environmental Historical Geography Since The American Environment,” Journal of Historical Geography 43 (2014): 156-160.
- Craig E. Colten. Perilous Place, Powerful Storms: Hurricane Protection in Coastal Louisiana. Jackson, MS: University Press of Mississippi, 2009.
- Craig E. Cotlen. Unnatural Metropolis: Wresting New Orleans from Nature. Baton Rouge: LSU Press, 2005.
Seminars on urban environments, historical geography, environmental migration