Ph.D. University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1987
M.S. Univ of Wisconsin-Madison, 1978
B.A. Antioch College, 1970
Dr. Mathewson is currently working on three book projects: a co-edited translation of French geographer Elisée Reclus’ mid-19th century travel account of Colombia, a co-edited collection papers on cultural & historical ecology, and a co-authored book on photographic images of Guatemala’s civil war. His other research interests and projects include topics in the history of geography, food security in the Caribbean, and botanical elements of the African diaspora.
- 2011 “Sauer’s Berkeley School Legacy: Foundation for an Emergent Environmental Geography?” in G. Bocco, P.S. Urquijo and A. Vieyra (eds.) Geografía y Ambiente en América Latina (Morelia [Mexico]: CIGA/UNAM), pp. 51-82.
- 2010 “Landscape Versus Region: Part II,” in J. Agnew and J. Duncan (eds.) Companion to Human Geography (Oxford: Blackwell), pp. 130-145.
- 2010 “Greater Louisiana Connections & Conjunctures: Placing New Orleans in an Atlantic World Perspective,” in W. Boelhower (ed.) New Orleans in the Atlantic World (New York: Routledge), pp. 71-84.
- 2009 Carl Sauer on Culture and Landscape: Readings and Commentaries (co-edited with William M. Denevan), (Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press)
- 2008 Ethno- and Historical Geographic Studies in Latin America: Essays in Honor of William V. Davidson (co-edited with Peter Herlihy and Craig Revels, KM second editor) (Baton Rouge: Geoscience Publications)
Human Geography: Europe and the Americas
History of Geography
Seminars in Culture History (various topics – e.g. invasive species, environmental history, Atlantic Studies)