Ph.D. Socio-Cultural Anthropology, The University of Chicago, 2011
M.Phil. Socio-Cultural Anthropology, The University of Chicago, 2006
B.A. Anthropology, Bard College, 2002
- n.d. Living Politics in South Africa’s Urban Shack-lands (Book Manuscript under contract with The University of Chicago Press).
- n.d. “We Can’t Breathe”: Coughing Out the Suffocations of the City in Post-Apartheid South Africa (Under Review)
- 2015 “Where There is Fire, There is Politics: Ungovernability and Material Life in Urban South Africa.” Cultural Anthropology. Issue 30 (3): 394-423.
- 2015 “Sacrifice After Mandela: Debts of Liberation Among South Africa’s First Post-Apartheid Generation.” Anthropological Quarterly. Issue 88 (4): 857-878.
- 2015 “Transitory Citizens: Contentious Housing Practices in Contemporary South Africa.” Social Analysis. Volume 59 (3): 62-84.
- 2015 “Slum-As-Infrastructure: How the Politics of Informality Shapes South Africa’s World Class Cities.” In Spatializing Politics: Essays on Power and Place, edited by Delia Wendel and Fallon Samuels Aidoo. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- 2015 “Ritual Technologies: Making Political Kinship and Digital Publics in South Africa’s Borderlands.” In Out of Order: Popular Mobilization in South Africa, edited by Gary Minkley and Richard Pithouse. Fort Hare, South Africa: Fort Hare University Press.
- 2014 “A Review of Giorgio Agamben’s The Highest Poverty.” Journal of Southern African Anthropology. Volume 37 (1-2): 138-140.
- 2014 “Legacies of Fear.” In “The L.A. Riots: 20 Years Later” journal special issue, edited by Kerry Ryan Chance and Laurence Ralph. Transition. Issue 113: 137-170.
- 2010 “The Work of Violence: Armed Attacks at the Kennedy Road Shack Settlement.” School of Development Studies Research Report Series. Issue 83: 1-39.
- 2007 “In the Absence of a Metaphysical Field (Na Ausência Do Campo Metafísico)” with Filipe Calvao. Etnográfica. Volume 10 (2): 385-394.
ANTH 1003: Introduction to Social and Cultural Anthropology